Sunday, September 24, 2006

Customer Service

I spent my birthday in a hotel in the Philippines, which isn't much fun at all. However, on the day of my birthday, as I made my way about the New World Renaissance Hotel in Makati, hotel staff who I didn't even know kept wishing me happy birthday as I passed them. The whole day culminated with the hotel staff surprising me by knocking on the door of my room with a birthday cake and a song. It was a nice little touch for this weary traveler.

It's so nice, in fact, that it outweighs any discomfort I may feel about everyone in the hotel knowing my personal business. It does make me wonder, though, about the other regulars in the hotel who treat the staff as if they don't exist, and engage in behaviors that they surely would want to couch in some kind of anonymity. Because, the hotel staff... They. Know. Everything.

0 Comments: